26. soft silly music is meaningful, magical
THIS! is awesome comfort food. right here. cheese + avocados + whole wheat pasta = fuck yeah. i present to you…stovetop avocado mac and cheese! thanks to two peas and their pod for the recipe inspiration.
what you need:
- 10 ounces whole wheat rotini pasta (you can also use elbow pasta)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 avocados, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh avocado chunks and more cheese, for garnish, if desired
what you do:
- bring water to a boil in a large pot. salt the water and add in macaroni. stir and cook until al dente, about 8-10 minutes. drain and set aside.
- while the pasta is cooking, make the avocado sauce by placing the garlic, avocados, lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper into a food processor or blender. process until smooth and creamy, then set aside.
- to make the cheese sauce, place butter in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat. when butter is melted, whisk in flour to create a paste, then whisk in milk until smooth. stir with a wooden spoon until the sauce starts to thicken. add in cheese and stir until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy.
- note! i realized last-minute that i didn’t have regular milk (which i generally never have since i don’t really drink it), so i used plain soymilk and it worked just fine.
- pour the drained pasta into the cheese sauce (just put it in the same pan that you made the cheese sauce in), then pour the avocado sauce over the macaroni and stir until well coated.
- season with salt and pepper, to taste. serve warm, and garnish with fresh avocado chunks and/or cheese, if desired (i just added a little more cheese since i was all out of avocado).
note #2! the lime juice keeps the avocado from browning. when you have leftovers for the next day(s), the pasta and sauce may turn slightly brown. but don’t worry! it still tastes the same.
this serves about 4-6 people (which translates to big bowls for sophia and i for dinner the first night, then lunch leftovers for at least the next day), and takes about 30 total minutes to make.